LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY


RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Log In Chat Index Search Rules Lingo Create Account

Quick navigation:   

Take antibiotic?

Forum Opinion Poll
Yes 16 53.33%
No, have nanny take her for re-check early next week? 14 46.67%
 

Antibiotic yes or no?

Posted By Message

robynfs
12/6/10!!

Member since 9/05

4947 total posts

Name:

Antibiotic yes or no?

Brought DD (2 year) to pediatrician for a chronic dry cough that hasn't cleared since mild RSV in December.

During checkup doc noticed fluid in one ear that is starting to show the signs of pus/infection. DD has no symptoms, no fever and hasn't complained at all.

Pediatrician said we can wait 5/6 days and re-check it. Or I can just put her on antibiotic for 10 days and not worry about going back and checking. She said at 2 years old, they are sometimes able to kick it without the meds.

What to do? I am out of town Mon-Wed. I know that shouldn't play into my decision since the nanny can take her to the ped but it's def something for me to consider.

What to do?

Message edited 1/31/2013 10:35:59 AM.

Posted 1/31/13 10:34 AM
 

NervousNell
Just another chapter in life..

Member since 11/09

54921 total posts

Name:
..being a mommy and being a wife!

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I would 100% put her on the meds.

Posted 1/31/13 10:40 AM
 

robynfs
12/6/10!!

Member since 9/05

4947 total posts

Name:

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

Posted by NervousNell

I would 100% put her on the meds.



I always appreciate your advice and opinion. I seem to agree with you on most points and have a similar approach with most things. So you say do it and I feel like I should head to CVS! Chat Icon

Posted 1/31/13 10:45 AM
 

Lauren82
LIF Adult

Member since 10/06

4580 total posts

Name:
L

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I would because there are signs of infection already. And with my luck she would have a fever and major pain around 7:30pm Friday night.

Posted 1/31/13 10:49 AM
 

Crunchewy
LIF Adult

Member since 10/08

1232 total posts

Name:
A

Antibiotic yes or no?

I wouldn't. Kids don't always have to be on meds just because they are sick. If your DS is not uncomfortable I would ask for script, but I would wait.

Posted 1/31/13 10:57 AM
 

lcherian
He is the reason!

Member since 2/06

2512 total posts

Name:

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

Posted by LolasMom

I wouldn't. Kids don't always have to be on meds just because they are sick. If your DS is not uncomfortable I would ask for script, but I would wait.



This. I try to avoid antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary. It messes up the gut flora, and can lead to other issues. From what your ped is saying, it sounds like it's not necessary at this point.

Cut out all dairy and refined sugars for the next week and if it gets worse then see your ped again.

Posted 1/31/13 11:25 AM
 

SweetTooth
I'm a tired mommy!

Member since 12/05

20105 total posts

Name:
Lauren

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I wouldn't - does she have a confirmed bacterial infection? RSV is a virus, and antibiotics don't treat viruses. Antibiotics are way over used and this contributes to antibiotic resistance, and a slew of other issues.

Posted 1/31/13 11:50 AM
 

Champ
2 little ladies

Member since 1/11

2918 total posts

Name:
Rose

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I wouldn't. I might get the RX but not fill it. Since it is not bothering DC. but the dr saw something I would try different approaches first. This works for a full blown ear infection and dosen't involve all of the other side effects of antibiotics. I'm not against modern medicine by any means, I just try to keep them off antibiotics if we avoid it

Message edited 1/31/2013 12:05:06 PM.

Posted 1/31/13 12:04 PM
 

Lillykat
going along for the ride...

Member since 5/05

16253 total posts

Name:

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I wouldn't the school of thought ( was in the NYT a few years ago) that for most ear infections antibiotics are not needed and they clear on their own. DD#1 had one last year no meds and it was completely clear at ten day recheck.

My ped is automatic recheck at ten days meds or not. Sometimes meds don't work so if you take the course and it isn't clear you won't know without a recheck. My ped prefers as long as we are not talking about bulging ear drums and bad pain to hold off and see if it clears on its own. They told me if she gets a fever or the pain gets bad to call and they would call in a script.

Antibiotics won't work if it is a viral not bacterial infection. Then you are getting antibiotics you don't need.

I would wait and see if it starts to hurt or she gets a fever.

Posted 1/31/13 12:32 PM
 

NervousNell
Just another chapter in life..

Member since 11/09

54921 total posts

Name:
..being a mommy and being a wife!

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

Posted by robynfs

Posted by NervousNell

I would 100% put her on the meds.



I always appreciate your advice and opinion. I seem to agree with you on most points and have a similar approach with most things. So you say do it and I feel like I should head to CVS! Chat Icon



Chat Icon That is nice to hear.
Because most people in my real life ignore the heck out of me! Chat Icon

The reason I say meds is I know how fast they can go from no symptoms with an ear infection to a fever and very sick.
Happens to my daughter all the time.
And with you being away, I'd rather the piece of mind.
It's not like she is on meds all the time right?

Posted 1/31/13 12:57 PM
 

oneday
<3

Member since 5/05

4319 total posts

Name:
Pam

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

I wouldn't. I would want to see if she could fight it on her own. I worry about relying too heavily on antibotics.

Posted 1/31/13 1:37 PM
 

DSLaff
Team One of Each

Member since 10/09

2150 total posts

Name:
Dana

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

i was in same boat and i did not give meds bc the last antibiotic ripped apart his stomach even with me giving him tons probiotics...he was rechecked in5 days and ears were perfect

Message edited 1/31/2013 1:46:02 PM.

Posted 1/31/13 1:45 PM
 

Lillykat
going along for the ride...

Member since 5/05

16253 total posts

Name:

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

Not all ear infections get bad fast it is a very kid specific thing.

You might want to consider a probiotic. Antibiotics give my girls diarrhea.

Posted 1/31/13 1:58 PM
 

NewLeaf2012
LIF Adult

Member since 1/11

2741 total posts

Name:
....

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

As the mom of a 3 y/o with chronic ear infections, I would hold onto the prescription but not get it filled. Almost all of my sons ear infections (some really bad) have cleared on their own. I have gotten his scripts filled and given him a dose or two. But he is NOT good with taking medication and usually spits most of it out or throws it up. My kitchen floor will NEVER get sick!!! Unless he is burning up with a fever or I know he is in pain, I wouldn't give it to him. They become resistant to them and some can be brutal on their bellies... And so many clear up on their own. His last double ear infection cleared up in three days!! With no meds.. It is your choice...Chat Icon

Posted 1/31/13 3:28 PM
 

Xelindrya
Mommy's little YouTube Star!

Member since 8/05

14470 total posts

Name:
Veronica

Re: Antibiotic yes or no?

Posted by NervousNell

I would 100% put her on the meds.



I agree

AJ never had any other symptoms with her ear infections. No fever, no change in behavior or pulling on ear. She would be happy clam. Then I'd take her in and she'd have RAGING double infections with bulging drums. Yeah if I got a heads up she had fluid or puss, I'd give her the meds in a heartbeat.

Posted 1/31/13 5:38 PM
 
 

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Antibiotic ear drops v. oral meds for infection? ChilisWife 1/22/11 2 Parenting
Bronchitis/Antibiotic Question- To Fill or Not to Fill? OffWithHerHead23 11/29/10 4 Parenting
What is the antibiotic stronger than Amoxicillin for ear infections? CEFZIL cgdg61606 2/13/09 6 Parenting
Can being an antibiotic for a sinus infection mess with your O date?? TnJ2007 1/20/09 3 TTC
PSA - Stop N Shop kicks off free antibiotic program! KristinasMama 1/5/09 5 Parenting
Antibiotic Septra and 19 month old DS... Anyone know? mommy2devin 11/21/08 0 Health!
 
Quick navigation:   
Currently 1843917 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
1 More Rep
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms
Teresa Geraghty Photography
Camelot Dream Homes
Long Island Wedding Boutique
MB Febus- Rodan & Fields
Camp Harbor
Market America-Shop.com
ACM Basement Waterproofing
Travel Tom

      Follow LIWeddings on Facebook

      Follow LIFamilies on Twitter
Long Island Bridal Shows