LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY


RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Log In Chat Index Search Rules Lingo Create Account

Quick navigation:   

You must first be logged in to edit a post.
If you are not registered, please click "Create Account".

Should we lock in?

Posted By Message

queensgirl
LIF Infant

Member since 11/08

321 total posts

Name:
Erica

Should we lock in?

We don't have a closing date yet, still waiting on "clear to close" but everyone is optimistic it will be as early as 8/28 or within the next few days. We can lock in at 5.125% but we'd have to close by 9/2. Theres a chance we might not close that early. Should we lock in the rate or float it a bit more?

Posted 8/18/09 2:55 PM
 
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource
  |   Long Island Weddings

skinny
3 boys and a princess!

Member since 11/08

8178 total posts

Name:
Momma

Re: Should we lock in?

I would lock in. That's a great rate!

Posted 8/18/09 2:56 PM
 

queensgirl
LIF Infant

Member since 11/08

321 total posts

Name:
Erica

Re: Should we lock in?

If we aren't able to close by 9/2 and then the rate goes up, how does that work, do we have an option to extend our rate or just out of luck?

Posted 8/18/09 2:58 PM
 

MrsYank
She's here :)

Member since 4/07

3238 total posts

Name:
Mrs. Yank

Re: Should we lock in?

usually you can extend the rate but for 1/2 a point. To break the lock is something like 1.5 points. (or at least it used to be!)

eta if you arent clear to close bc of something on your lenders part I would speak up and ask if they would extend the rate at their cost.

Message edited 8/18/2009 3:39:27 PM.

Posted 8/18/09 3:38 PM
 

ave1024
I Took The Wrong Road

Member since 12/07

6153 total posts

Name:
That Led To The Wrong Tendencies

Re: Should we lock in?

Rates were 5.5% last week. It is very low right now and I am showing 5.125% as well.

I would ask for a 45 day rate lock (without a fee) and see what they say.

Rate lock durations are negotiable IMO.

Posted 8/18/09 4:06 PM
 

SweetPeaMomma
LIF Adolescent

Member since 7/07

806 total posts

Name:
jen

Re: Should we lock in?

we just went through this and we locked w/o a closing date.

we called our lawyer, our real estate agent (and had her call the seller to make sure they were ready to close asap) and called the mortgage company. they all said as long as everyone else was ready to go, we should be fine to lock. why don't you call all your people and feel them out. but at that rate, i would say you really should lock it in!!

Posted 8/18/09 8:31 PM
 
 

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Question about Oil- C.O.D vs. service contract w/ lock in option neenie 5/19/09 6 Home
For those refinancing-how long of a rate lock? cost? sasha96 3/27/09 2 Home
So, what's new ladies? Anyone lock their baby in the car tonight with the keys? BaroqueMama 2/15/08 33 Parenting
If you waited until after you received your contract and did not lock in a rate for your mortgage.. Bellaocchi 6/28/07 5 Home
Semi-spinoff: What interest rate do you have on your mortgage and when did you get/lock that rate? Leeners 3/30/06 25 Home
What happens if for your digi camera you lock your memory card as opposed to not locking it... mishy 12/3/05 2 Families Helping Families ™
 
Quick navigation:   
Currently 282052 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
1 More Rep
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms
Teresa Geraghty Photography
Camelot Dream Homes
Long Island Wedding Boutique
MB Febus- Rodan & Fields
Camp Harbor
Market America-Shop.com
ACM Basement Waterproofing
Travel Tom

      Follow LIWeddings on Facebook

      Follow LIFamilies on Twitter
Long Island Bridal Shows