LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY


RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Log In Chat Index Search Rules Lingo Create Account

Quick navigation:   

Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

Posted By Message

2boys4me
He's coming soon!

Member since 4/10

4260 total posts

Name:

Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

Anyone else seeing the midwives for a VBAC or possible VBAC? I had an appointment yesterday, I am 25 weeks, and we talked a lot about the possible VBAC. I was told that the SB midwives only let you go to 41 weeks and that they will do no induction. Well apparently I was told wrong because yesterday they told me that they let you go to 42 weeks and then they will induce but probably only with pitocin, no cervidil. This makes me nervous. I am still SO on the fence about whether or not I should have a VBAC or go for the scheduled c-section. I went through a long laboring process with DS and ended up with a c-section and am so scared that is going to happen again. I wish I could predict the future and know whether or not laboring is going to work and if not, then I'd go right for the c-section. Good news is, is that she said if at anytime I decide that I don't want to do this anymore then just call it and they will do the c-section. That made me feel better.

Posted 12/18/11 10:43 AM
 
Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

CunningOne
***

Member since 5/05

26975 total posts

Name:

Re: Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

I did not use SB midwives, I actually used an OB who let me VBAC with #2. I know most OB's don't let patients vbac.

Anyway, I was told there were several conditions I had to meet to be able to go for it successfully. I could NOT be induced at all. I had to go into labor on my own. They would wait and see up to 41 weeks, and if I hadn't gone into labor on my own, a c/s was scheduled to occur that week. The baby's size was also monitored closely by sonos every week. Although it's just an estimate, they were dead on with all mine and the OB wouldn't let me labor for a vbac if he felt the baby was bigger than 8 lbs (she was born at 7 lbs 11 oz).

The only reason for my first c/s was because he was breech. My OB said that if I had any sort of "failed labor" with #1, he wouldn't have been so eager to let me vbac. There's usually a reason behind it and that makes you not a good candidate the next time.

Good Luck!

Posted 12/18/11 11:25 AM
 

2boys4me
He's coming soon!

Member since 4/10

4260 total posts

Name:

Re: Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

Posted by chmlengr

I did not use SB midwives, I actually used an OB who let me VBAC with #2. I know most OB's don't let patients vbac.

Anyway, I was told there were several conditions I had to meet to be able to go for it successfully. I could NOT be induced at all. I had to go into labor on my own. They would wait and see up to 41 weeks, and if I hadn't gone into labor on my own, a c/s was scheduled to occur that week. The baby's size was also monitored closely by sonos every week. Although it's just an estimate, they were dead on with all mine and the OB wouldn't let me labor for a vbac if he felt the baby was bigger than 8 lbs (she was born at 7 lbs 11 oz).

The only reason for my first c/s was because he was breech. My OB said that if I had any sort of "failed labor" with #1, he wouldn't have been so eager to let me vbac. There's usually a reason behind it and that makes you not a good candidate the next time.

Good Luck!



See, I knew about the size thing too, and I addressed that with her because DS was 8lbs 4ozs and he was born the day after his due date. So I am predicting that DS#2 will be large too and she agreed, saying that the second is usually larger and that no matter the size, I can still VBAC.

All of this stuff sounds so dangerous to me. I'm not sure what to do.

Posted 12/18/11 11:32 AM
 

CunningOne
***

Member since 5/05

26975 total posts

Name:

Re: Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

Posted by 2boys4me

All of this stuff sounds so dangerous to me. I'm not sure what to do.



It's not dangerous, no more so than a repeat c/s can be. Just make sure you are informed and really go over why your last birth ended up in a c/s.... My first was 9 lbs 7 oz and born at 37 weeks, so most people assume that is why I had the c/s. Not the case at all, stubborn boy was breech the whole time!! My second was much smaller, by at least 2 lbs!

Posted 12/18/11 1:07 PM
 

SweetTooth
I'm a tired mommy!

Member since 12/05

20105 total posts

Name:
Lauren

Re: Stony Brook Midwives and VBAC

I couldn't use the midwives because they don't take my insurance. I did find an OB who would let me VBAC. However, she would not induce,I had to go into labor on my own by 42 weeks.
At 40 weeks 3 days I had a BPP and it was not reassuring - fluid was extremely low, flow through the cord was bad, and the baby hadn't gained much weight since 36 weeks.
I wound up with another c-section since baby had to come out and they wouldn't induce. They let me spend that night in L&D to see if I would go into labor on my own, but I didn't.

Posted 12/18/11 11:00 PM
 
 

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Thinking about switching to Stony Brook Midwives... ??? Sunday 1/5/10 3 Pregnancy
Do they Stony Brook midwives see just GYN patients? Or just OB patients? KateDevine 10/30/08 2 Parenting
Stony Brook Midwives--any input? BaseballWidow 8/28/08 8 Pregnancy
natural, Stony Brook, midwives - LONG! bpmom 3/31/08 9 My Birth Story!
Stony Brook Midwives julz33 11/16/07 14 Pregnancy
Stony Brook Midwives Dragonfly75 3/27/06 3 Pregnancy
 
Quick navigation:   
Currently 31875 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
1 More Rep
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms
Teresa Geraghty Photography
Camelot Dream Homes
Long Island Wedding Boutique
MB Febus- Rodan & Fields
Camp Harbor
Market America-Shop.com
ACM Basement Waterproofing
Travel Tom

      Follow LIWeddings on Facebook

      Follow LIFamilies on Twitter
Long Island Bridal Shows