| Posted By |
Message |
| Pages: [1] 2 |
|
|
I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I saw my specialist today for high blood pressure. As I'm sure you ladies are aware I've had high blood pressure for almost 3 years (so it's not from pregnancy). I've been on medication and it's under good control. Thankfully I've had no issues this pregnancy. It's been normal throughout. Blood pressure can affect so many things- the baby's growth, the fluid around the baby, etc. Today he asked me what my plan was and I really have no idea.
He said I can be induced sometime next week (I'll be 39 weeks). The doctor told me that there really is no benefit to the baby, being pregnant after 39 weeks. He said that because of my history I have a greater chance of developing preeclampsia. He said that the longer I wait, the greater the chance I could end up with preeclampsia and have my blood pressure levels rise especially nearing the very end of my pregnancy. He said if that happened I would end up in an emergency c section. He said to avoid all that I could opt to be induced. Now my blood pressure has been normal this whole pregnancy and the baby has developed normally, is a good weight, etc. Everything looks perfect (thank god). So I'm not sure I should try to just wait and go on my own. He said that he can't really tell me what to do but that if I am really opposed to induction I can try and go on my own. He said that the risk of my blood pressure rising is there even if it's been normal throughout. I'm seeing my ob Friday to discuss this further.
What would you girls do? I'm so lost here. Are there negatives to induction? Would I be better off trying to go on my own? I'm so confused. Does anyone have any experience?
In any event it is so exciting that I could possibly be a mom next week!!!!!!!!!!
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:35 AM |
| |
|
Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource |
cgdg61606
Little Brother Christopher

Member since 2/07 6815 total posts
Name: Christine
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I had a very positive induction with my first at 40 weeks, 2 days. I was 80% effaced and 2 centimeters. If I were you, I would definitely go for the induction to avoid preeclampsia and emergency c section.
Good luck!!!!!!!
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:39 AM |
| |
|
drwifettc
LIF Adult

Member since 6/10 2348 total posts
Name:
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
So SO SO exciting!! My doctor and I talked about induction yesterday and what I decided was to wait it out. However, I am not dealing with any blood pressure issues what so ever. My main concern for myself was that my body is not really showing any signs of being ready for labor. I'm a fingertip dilated and only 50% effaced, I haven't felt any significant contractions etc. I feel like if I were to induce before 40 weeks when I was like this I'd wind up with a c-section because the induction would fail. However, I think the BP issue is significant enough of a reason to really consider the induction. Is your body showing any signs it's ready? I'd take the doctors advice in regards to the BP issue if he's concerned it could rise quickly and unexpectedly then I'd probably do it.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:40 AM |
| |
|
TwinDani
We are complete <3

Member since 3/11 1750 total posts
Name: Danielle
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I would do whatever the Dr. told me he thinks is best. I think it is kind of great knowing that next week you will have your baby in your arms.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:40 AM |
| |
|
BethanyLynn
Love these munchkins

Member since 10/09 6295 total posts
Name: Bethany
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
With inductions, there is an increased risk of needing a C Section anyway. I was induced with DD 3 days past my due date and her heartrate was very erratic due to the drugs used to induce me. Kept fluctuating from 160 to 70- up and down- and I wound up with an emergency c section after 15 hours of labor. You have to decide what is best for you! I dont know ifI'd run the risk in allowing my BP to get high, so I might choose induction, but just know that you could still end up with a C Section. Even if you did, its not the worst thing in the world!
Good luck!!
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:40 AM |
| |
|
CloudNine
My Baby Boy is Here!

Member since 2/09 2831 total posts
Name: Jackie
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
hmm i dont know the negatives of being induced but if there arent many i think i would go next week. it seems that its safe and the doc knows what hes talking about
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:41 AM |
| |
|
MrsKS
Thank You St. Gerard.....

Member since 12/09 8306 total posts
Name: Kerri
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Personally... I think I would be induced. I would take all the good facts as it is and then not want to push it. Since there's a great risk of developing preclampsia... I would opt for the induction to know that I won't be having that issue.
And at 39 weeks... she's cooked!!
Good Luck with whichever you decide though.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:42 AM |
| |
|
Tiggeruth
I am a mom :-)
Member since 6/06 3433 total posts
Name: Heidi
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
This is a very personal choice but at 39w it might be worth trying to be induced. It would allow you to control the situation a little more and hopefully prevent an emergency c-section.
Under all normal circumstances I wouldn't want to be induced but if my doctor said you could have the baby a week early and possibly prevent any of the following complications that could arise i'd probably do it.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:43 AM |
| |
|
katiebug
I'll love you for always

Member since 2/08 4624 total posts
Name: Katie
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
There are benefits for babies being in past 39 weeks. The fact that he says that there isn't makes my blood boil.
I am not telling you not to induce, but there are risks to inductions including elevated risk of c-section.
PERSONALLY I would wait it out since you have not had any issues thus far, but I am a natural childbirth enthusiast (who wound up with a c-section with her first).
Good luck with whatever you decide!
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:44 AM |
| |
|
|
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by katiebug
There are benefits for babies being in past 39 weeks. The fact that he says that there isn't makes my blood boil.
I am not telling you not to induce, but there are risks to inductions including elevated risk of c-section.
PERSONALLY I would wait it out since you have not had any issues thus far, but I am a natural childbirth enthusiast (who wound up with a c-section with her first).
Good luck with whatever you decide! I think he meant in regards to my blood pressure. It can rise and if it did I would have an extra complication I could have avoided. I'm not sure what to do but I would hate to wait and have my blood pressure rise.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:54 AM |
| |
|
PotofLuck06
Our Baby Boy Is Here!!!

Member since 11/06 13241 total posts
Name: Betsy
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Due to my GD and the risks associated with that, I am being induced this week. I would rather try this route than avoid an emergency c-section.
I would talk with your OB and then follow what you are most comfortable doing.
There is the possibility the induction may not work (I have had these risks reiterated to me over and over) and you should ask about this to both your Drs.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:56 AM |
| |
|
Melissa1013
My sweet boy

Member since 1/08 1933 total posts
Name: Melissa
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Are you dilated at all? That would be a factor in my decision. I don't think I would go into it starting from "scratch".
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:56 AM |
| |
|
katiebug
I'll love you for always

Member since 2/08 4624 total posts
Name: Katie
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by KevinNKristin8-15-08
Posted by katiebug
There are benefits for babies being in past 39 weeks. The fact that he says that there isn't makes my blood boil.
I am not telling you not to induce, but there are risks to inductions including elevated risk of c-section.
PERSONALLY I would wait it out since you have not had any issues thus far, but I am a natural childbirth enthusiast (who wound up with a c-section with her first).
Good luck with whatever you decide! I think he meant in regards to my blood pressure. It can rise and if it did I would have an extra complication I could have avoided. I'm not sure what to do but I would hate to wait and have my blood pressure rise.
I totally get why he mentioned the induction, and this is one of the few instances that I have read on the board where I would totally consider an induction. But for me, I do see benefits for babies being in the womb past 39 weeks, so I would not be induced unless my pressure started to rise.
When it comes to your blood pressure, would it most likely be s low rise or an abrupt spike in your pressure? Could you hold out a little and if you see a rise then go in for an induction? How would you feel about some natural ways of helping progress the labor along like acupuncture?
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:58 AM |
| |
|
|
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by Melissa1013
Are you dilated at all? That would be a factor in my decision. I don't think I would go into it starting from "scratch".
a fingertip! So not really.
|
Posted 4/12/11 10:58 AM |
| |
|
|
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by katiebug
Posted by KevinNKristin8-15-08
Posted by katiebug
There are benefits for babies being in past 39 weeks. The fact that he says that there isn't makes my blood boil.
I am not telling you not to induce, but there are risks to inductions including elevated risk of c-section.
PERSONALLY I would wait it out since you have not had any issues thus far, but I am a natural childbirth enthusiast (who wound up with a c-section with her first).
Good luck with whatever you decide! I think he meant in regards to my blood pressure. It can rise and if it did I would have an extra complication I could have avoided. I'm not sure what to do but I would hate to wait and have my blood pressure rise.
I totally get why he mentioned the induction, and this is one of the few instances that I have read on the board where I would totally consider an induction. But for me, I do see benefits for babies being in the womb past 39 weeks, so I would not be induced unless my pressure started to rise.
When it comes to your blood pressure, would it most likely be s low rise or an abrupt spike in your pressure? Could you hold out a little and if you see a rise then go in for an induction? How would you feel about some natural ways of helping progress the labor along like acupuncture?
benefits are there?? I'm so clueless.
As far as my pressure it wouldn't be gradual. It would more than likely be a spike in bp. See the thing is I've not had any issues this whole pregnancy so I'm hesistant in having an induction; but the thing is you never know.
I'm not opposed to natural methods but if they don't work than it's kind of a waste!
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:02 AM |
| |
|
Ayne11
Yep

Member since 1/09 18021 total posts
Name:
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
It's totally a personal choice, but I personally would like to wait it out as long as the baby is safe and let nature take it's course.
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:16 AM |
| |
|
julesrbf
Baby Girl
Member since 6/09 3882 total posts
Name:
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Oh WOW! That is so exciting!
I think I would take the risk and be induced if I were in your shoes, but you have to talk to your doctors and DH and make the right decision for you.
Good luck either way!!!
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:18 AM |
| |
|
mrsboss
my little love

Member since 12/09 5054 total posts
Name: Me
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I would wait. Your BP was good the entire pregnancy, so I personally would just wait. I was about to have a scheduled induction at 41w3d,because DD didnt want to come out, (I wasnt happy about it, but she had to come out at some point...) and finally my water broke on it's own at 41w. I am no help.. but if it was me, I would wait.
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:18 AM |
| |
|
|
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Personally, I would 100% speak with my OB and see how HE/SHE felt. To me, the OB is the expert, and would know what is best for me and for the baby.
I understand that the specialist knows what he's talking about regarding the blood pressure, and preeclampsia can be scary. But I would definitely want my OB's opinion before I made any decisions.
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:22 AM |
| |
|
MrsW2010
Mommy of two!

Member since 5/10 2202 total posts
Name: Jill
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
id listen to doc and be induced, especially since ur almost at the end anyway...
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:30 AM |
| |
|
katiebug
I'll love you for always

Member since 2/08 4624 total posts
Name: Katie
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by KevinNKristin8-15-08
Posted by katiebug
Posted by KevinNKristin8-15-08
Posted by katiebug
There are benefits for babies being in past 39 weeks. The fact that he says that there isn't makes my blood boil.
I am not telling you not to induce, but there are risks to inductions including elevated risk of c-section.
PERSONALLY I would wait it out since you have not had any issues thus far, but I am a natural childbirth enthusiast (who wound up with a c-section with her first).
Good luck with whatever you decide! I think he meant in regards to my blood pressure. It can rise and if it did I would have an extra complication I could have avoided. I'm not sure what to do but I would hate to wait and have my blood pressure rise.
I totally get why he mentioned the induction, and this is one of the few instances that I have read on the board where I would totally consider an induction. But for me, I do see benefits for babies being in the womb past 39 weeks, so I would not be induced unless my pressure started to rise.
When it comes to your blood pressure, would it most likely be s low rise or an abrupt spike in your pressure? Could you hold out a little and if you see a rise then go in for an induction? How would you feel about some natural ways of helping progress the labor along like acupuncture?
benefits are there?? I'm so clueless.
As far as my pressure it wouldn't be gradual. It would more than likely be a spike in bp. See the thing is I've not had any issues this whole pregnancy so I'm hesistant in having an induction; but the thing is you never know.
I'm not opposed to natural methods but if they don't work than it's kind of a waste!
I have some literature on the topic that I will try to locate for you. But a due date is an arbitrary number. We don't know when the baby is suppose to be born the baby does. There is a reason we are pregnant for as long as we are, and I like to keep the baby cooking as long as everything is going okay. But most of all I am not a fan of pitocin or other drugs they give you during the induction process.
Speak with your OB, he can check you out and give you a score to see how likely they think the induction will take. You know your body best. Don't do anything you are uncomfortable with.
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:31 AM |
| |
|
BabyLoveBug143
Alyssa Rose is here!!!

Member since 9/10 3288 total posts
Name: Jessica
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
i would just go with whatever the doctor thinks is best.
|
Posted 4/12/11 11:42 AM |
| |
|
Lannasmama
Love my girls
Member since 7/10 3580 total posts
Name:
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I agree with everyone else. I would do what the dr said is best. I def get induced.
|
Posted 4/12/11 12:16 PM |
| |
|
sarahbelle
Little drummer boy

Member since 5/05 2377 total posts
Name: Sarah
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
Posted by KevinNKristin8-15-08
Posted by Melissa1013
Are you dilated at all? That would be a factor in my decision. I don't think I would go into it starting from "scratch".
a fingertip! So not really.
Don't let that discourage you. Everyone is different. I was only a fingertip when I was induced with my first pregnancy and I did not need a c-section. I will say that I needed two rounds of cervadil to get to the point when I started having contractions....but not being dilated does not mean you will have a c-section. It was a long labor (22 hours including 1 hour of pushing).
|
Posted 4/12/11 2:06 PM |
| |
|
JoJo2010
Happy Family

Member since 8/09 6266 total posts
Name: JO
|
Re: I might be induced next week!!!!!!!!! WWYD?????
I was induced at 39 weeks due to preeclampsia. I had EXTREMELY high blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy and ever WORSE after I had DS. My induction went very well, but I was already 2-3cm when I got to the hospital. There are more factors to preeclampsia then just high BP. Do you have any protein in your urine? I would hold it out for a little while, especially since you are only a fingertip dialated.
ETA: my son was measuring very small so according to his measuring he was 2 weeks early and you could totally tell that he was early and not ready to come out.
Message edited 4/12/2011 2:49:26 PM.
|
Posted 4/12/11 2:48 PM |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 |