LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

How Hard Is It To Install A Washer/Dryer Hook Up?

Posted By Message

EmmaNick

Member since 12/06

16001 total posts

Name:

How Hard Is It To Install A Washer/Dryer Hook Up?

I like my apartment, it's cute, modern, pretty spacious for the most part. I HATE that I have no w/d hookup. It's seriously making me want to move because of it. The wash n fold thing is a pain and will be worse when I go back to work. Not to mention they are always screwing up and washing my clothes in commerical soap (which STINKS) when I pay for Tide. Chat Icon

I'm rambling sorry...Anyway.... when I first moved in, I mentioned it to the LL and he said he would prefer not having one in here. Well, he thinks I am a model tenant now that I've been here several months and would hate for me to move out, so I want to ask him if I could pay for someone to install the hookup in the utility room where the hot water heater, etc. are. I figure since there are already pipes there, it might that be that invovled?

Posted 8/27/07 2:18 PM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource
  |   Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate

~Colleen~
my loves...

Member since 5/05

9129 total posts

Name:
guess

Re: How Hard Is It To Install A Washer/Dryer Hook Up?

It's the dryer that is more involved. You need to cut out a space for the exhaust pipe thing and you have to make sure you have enough power to run it (most need to run on a 220 line *I think* - could be a 110???).

We had an electrician do it - I thought he was expensive (his excuse was that he had to cut through brick Chat Icon and he added an additional $300 after the work was done b/c of the brick Chat Icon - but I digress and) there are other, very well qualified electricians out there who could install it for less .

Posted 8/27/07 2:27 PM

EmmaNick

Member since 12/06

16001 total posts

Name:

Posted by ~Colleen~

It's the dryer that is more involved. You need to cut out a space for the exhaust pipe thing and you have to make sure you have enough power to run it (most need to run on a 220 line *I think* - could be a 110???).

We had an electrician do it - I thought he was expensive (his excuse was that he had to cut through brick Chat Icon and he added an additional $300 after the work was done b/c of the brick Chat Icon - but I digress and) there are other, very well qualified electricians out there who could install it for less .

Well, he just put in a gas fireplace upstairs and cut his own hole in the siding, so he's pretty handy and could probably do that part of it. I don't know anything beyond that though. I'm going to see what he thinks! I guess the worst he can say is no (then I'll move eventually).

Posted 8/27/07 2:29 PM

HoneyBadger
YourWorstNightmare.

Member since 10/06

15983 total posts

Name:
BahBahBlackJeep

DH installed our washer and dryer in the basement and it didn't seem very difficult at all.

Posted 8/27/07 6:53 PM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
How Much to install washer/dryer bikramaddict 10/17/06 3 Home
Why is this so hard IrishMom77 8/27/07 14 TTC
Washer / Dryer Combo jilmadison 6/27/06 17 Families Helping Families ™
Washer and dryer on the 2nd floor Scotty-CassidysMom 6/26/06 11 Home
New washer/dryer charon54 1/9/06 5 Home
New washer/dryer getting delivered Wednesday - How much do I tip? AJsMommy122 8/29/05 2 Families Helping Families ™

Quick navigation:   
Currently 46242 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
From the Store
10 Baby Onesie Soap Favors
$40.00
Look
THE COMPLETE LIP COLLECTION
$175.00
Look
GLOW SUGAR SCRUB
$38.00
Look