LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

Question about Britax Marathon---exp. date?

Posted By Message

Melbernai
I am a lucky Momma!

Member since 7/05

15652 total posts

Name:
Melissa

Question about Britax Marathon---exp. date?

I read last night on here that Britax Marathons have a 6 year expiration date. I always thought it was 9 years for all Britax Models! I didn't realize the Marathon had a 6 year limit.

So this morning I took a look at the owners manual and low and behold, it does say 6 years.

Now I am looking all over for the manufactured date. Short of taking the seat out of the car and checking the back...that is the only thing I didn't check because I don't like to remove the seat once I have it installed. But it is possible that it isn't supposed to be used for the 3 yo that I babysit for, who has been using it .

The only date I found on any of the side labels said 2/05, but that seems wrong since it was purchased in October of 2006. I don't know if that date is when the label was printed or when the seat was manufactured!

Do any of the car seat experts on the board know where I can find the serial number or expiration date on the seat?

I do have the britax website up and will call them if need be since I haven't found the info online!

TIA!

Melissa

Message edited 10/3/2011 9:34:52 AM.

Posted 10/3/11 9:32 AM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

tara73
carseat nerd

Member since 11/09

3649 total posts

Name:
Buttercup

Re: Question about Britax Marathon---exp. date?

The label is on the side, on the upper portion under the cover.

If it says 2/2005 then the seat expired 6 months ago

Be wary when purchasing seats that they are not already older than a few months. This is a common problem when buying because some stores aren't great at rotating stock. this is also why I suggest against ordering your convertible when pregnant. By the time you install it, you may have already lost a year of it's usable lifespan.

Message edited 9/3/2012 9:45:52 AM.

Posted 10/3/11 9:38 AM

Faithx2
All good things in 2016!!

Member since 8/05

20155 total posts

Name:

Yep it's expired.

Posted 10/3/11 9:39 AM

Melbernai
I am a lucky Momma!

Member since 7/05

15652 total posts

Name:
Melissa

Yes! I found it! I called the britax helpline (888-427-4829 if anyone needs it!) and they told me where to find it. My seat was manufactured on 6/6/06 and so it is considered safe until 6/6/12, so we have a bit more time!

I am so relieved because I can't afford to buy a new convertable seat for the girl that I babysit for, and her mom has never provided me with any car seats. I have always had to use our own car seats that we had from my own 6yo DD.

And with baby#2 on the way, we will be buying new infant seats, I didn't want to buy a convertable also!

So I just will have to buy a new Britax for the baby when he/she is old enough for one! And by then the 3 yo should be big enough for a booster seat, she will be almost 4 by then!

Phew, what a relief!

Posted 10/3/11 9:41 AM

Melbernai
I am a lucky Momma!

Member since 7/05

15652 total posts

Name:
Melissa

The 2/05 date was on the label, explaining size requirements for installation, on the bottom side of the seat. I missed the top label completely, and that is where the serial number and manufacture date was so I am definately good until 6/6/12!

I am so glad that issues like this get talked about on this board --- if not I'd have never known!

Posted 10/3/11 9:43 AM

tara73
carseat nerd

Member since 11/09

3649 total posts

Name:
Buttercup

"almost 4" is not big enough for a booster.

Tell the mom to go buy you a proper seat. Evenflo Maestro is less than $80.

Posted 10/3/11 9:46 AM

Faithx2
All good things in 2016!!

Member since 8/05

20155 total posts

Name:

Posted by Melbernai

The 2/05 date was on the label, explaining size requirements for installation, on the bottom side of the seat. I missed the top label completely, and that is where the serial number and manufacture date was so I am definately good until 6/6/12!

I am so glad that issues like this get talked about on this board --- if not I'd have never known!

Chat Icon

Posted 10/3/11 9:47 AM

Melbernai
I am a lucky Momma!

Member since 7/05

15652 total posts

Name:
Melissa

Posted by tarabelle99

"almost 4" is not big enough for a booster.

Tell the mom to go buy you a proper seat. Evenflo Maestro is less than $80.

I always thought that boosters were 3 and up with the back, 4 and up without the back? I thought that is what it said when I just read the info on my DD's booster seat.

I guess this is all stuff that I have to start discussing with her Mom now!

Posted 10/3/11 9:57 AM

tara73
carseat nerd

Member since 11/09

3649 total posts

Name:
Buttercup

The age imprinted on a seat doesn't always mesh up with what is safest or legal. It is not legal in NYS to booster a 3 year old unless they are over 40lbs. Even then it is not advised.

Based on NHTSA, Safekids and AAP recommendations, boosters, at a bare minimum, are for kids at least 4 and 40lbs but most are not mature enough to sit in one until they are 5-6 years old. Being slightly out of position in a booster can have grave consequences for a small child. Maturity factors in heavily when it comes time to booster.

Some boosters have 3 and 30 on them but that hasn't been the recommendation for years. Evenflo is going to be changing their labeling on their future seats, and Graco already has 4 and 40 on many of their boosters. Manufacturers are playing catch up with the labeling of the seats.

Posted 10/3/11 10:04 AM

Melbernai
I am a lucky Momma!

Member since 7/05

15652 total posts

Name:
Melissa

Posted by tarabelle99

The age imprinted on a seat doesn't always mesh up with what is safest or legal. It is not legal in NYS to booster a 3 year old unless they are over 40lbs. Even then it is not advised.

Based on NHTSA, Safekids and AAP recommendations, boosters, at a bare minimum, are for kids at least 4 and 40lbs but most are not mature enough to sit in one until they are 5-6 years old. Being slightly out of position in a booster can have grave consequences for a small child. Maturity factors in heavily when it comes time to booster.

Some boosters have 3 and 30 on them but that hasn't been the recommendation for years. Evenflo is going to be changing their labeling on their future seats, and Graco already has 4 and 40 on many of their boosters. Manufacturers are playing catch up with the labeling of the seats.

Thank you for this information! Another reason why this site is great! I appreciate the clarification!

Posted 10/3/11 10:15 AM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Closing date question MrsNaunie 3/29/07 19 Home
"Official" closing date...question.... lorich 2/1/07 7 Home
UPDATE: Had a Date Last Night....Question Inside! robynfs 11/18/06 28 Families Helping Families ™
Due date question missrock 5/16/06 3 Pregnancy
Property Tax Question - 12/1 Due Date? skew 12/3/05 7 Home
closing date question raken40 8/7/05 2 Home

Quick navigation:   
Currently 180042 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
From the Store
Tuscan Lace Exfoliating Body Wash
$7.00
Look
Milk Chocolate Exfoliating Body Wash
$7.00
Look