LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY


RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Log In Chat Index Search Rules Lingo Create Account

Quick navigation:   

You must be a logged in user to report a bad post!

What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted By Message
Pages: 1 [2]

Momma2Be
Mommy of an angel

Member since 10/09

5911 total posts

Name:
Dina

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted by maybemommy10

I knew it ! He gave me the same shpeel.

On my 1st apt. with him he told me I would have to have a section b/c i have twinsChat Icon Chat Icon and he has pushed for it ever since. He goes through a lists of risks a mile long. But there are also risks (many would say increased) with major surgery also.

I think many doctors push for sections because 1) it is easier for them ..who wants to be woken up at 3am and have to possible wait around for 6-12 hrs to do it naturally. and 2) avoid legal repercussions.

This is a very personal decision, but I will say this. This is what our bodies were MADE for. Giving birth vaginally is natural. There is no denying that the recovery is WAY faster with natural. Vbacs are performed few and far between and have increased dangers.

Don't let ANYONE pressue you into something you are not comfortable with.

There is a reason why we have mommy instincts.
Chat Icon



I agree with all of the above ESPECIALLY the part in bold. I was going to ask why he didn't just suggest an induction instead of going right for a c-section if he was so concerned but I see in your update that you will likely try that route if you don't go naturally. Don't think that an induction necessarily leads to a c-section. I was able to deliver vaginally after being induced. Good luck!!

Posted 8/8/11 2:15 PM
 
Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

annoyedTTCer
LIF Adult

Member since 4/09

3272 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Listen to the perinatologist.

The doctors often say a big kid is coming and then out pops a 7/8 pounder.

Posted 8/8/11 3:36 PM
 

Rycois
Blessed with 2blue/2pink

Member since 12/05

13341 total posts

Name:
J

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Personally, I would try to deliver vaginally. Just because the baby is big, does not mean it is impossible to deliver vaginal. But it's a personal decision and I can totally see women just scheduling a section if their doctor advises to do so.

Good luck!

Posted 8/8/11 3:49 PM
 

BaseballWidow
*****

Member since 8/08

6657 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted by maybemommy10

I knew it ! He gave me the same shpeel.

On my 1st apt. with him he told me I would have to have a section b/c i have twinsChat Icon Chat Icon and he has pushed for it ever since. He goes through a lists of risks a mile long. But there are also risks (many would say increased) with major surgery also.

I think many doctors push for sections because 1) it is easier for them ..who wants to be woken up at 3am and have to possible wait around for 6-12 hrs to do it naturally. and 2) avoid legal repercussions.

This is a very personal decision, but I will say this. This is what our bodies were MADE for. Giving birth vaginally is natural. There is no denying that the recovery is WAY faster with natural. Vbacs are performed few and far between and have increased dangers.

Don't let ANYONE pressue you into something you are not comfortable with.

There is a reason why we have mommy instincts.
Chat Icon



I agree with so much you said here! Women really need to trust their bodies and instincts and make the decision they are most comfortable with (for baby and mommy). I wish I hadn't been so compliant to the section and fought more for what I wanted.

Message edited 8/8/2011 3:49:57 PM.

Posted 8/8/11 3:49 PM
 

PeasandCarrots
♥

Member since 5/07

9579 total posts

Name:
L

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

It's a tough call, and I am really glad you're looking into all the options. If it were me, I would do what the peri suggests. I know they say he is big, but the estimates can be over a pound off. SO in theory you could have an 8lb or a 10lb baby in there!. I really don't pay attention to that. It's to hard to guess and really that's what they are doing. I am very pro do what your bady does. I would not do an induction or planned c unless it was to prevent something bad from happening to me or the baby ie: placental issues, hypertension so on. Our bodies, IMHO, are designed to deliver babies. I have seen many women deliver large babies after being told not to. Take for instance my FIRL. SHe was told BIG BIG baby at least 9 lbs, EVERYBODY said so, and she had GD. She went into labor naturally and they pushed for Pit. SHe was miserable and after many many hours got an epi which she DID NOT want. To this day almost 2 yrs later she regrets that and is sad about her birth. They pushed for a c and she 100% refused. I mean they were rude and mean to her about NOT getting it. In the end w/an epi and pit she vag delievered her HUGE 7lb12oz baby girl.

Posted 8/8/11 3:56 PM
 

Kelly9904
Mommy to 2 amazing little boys

Member since 5/05

9306 total posts

Name:
Kelly

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Its a decision only you can make. I was in the same position with DS#1 in 2007. He was measuring in the 9lb range and we have a family history of large babies. My OB felt that it was up to me but her fear was not so much about weight but width. Meaning shoulders. She siad if my DC was broad that I would labor for some time then probably wind up with a c/s due to his size.She felt htat it wasnt worth the chance and then I would have to recover from both labor and surgery. But she left it up to me.

I decided on a c/s. My DS was born on his EDD at 9lbs 14oz and 22.5 inches and he is built like a linebacker even at 3.5yo he is just HUGE. So it was the right decision for me. Now my second DS although big too is much smaller, he is built more like a quarterback!Chat Icon

Its a hard decision. for me I cried for 2 days but was 100% happy in the end and dnot regret not trying for a v-birth!

Posted 8/8/11 4:07 PM
 

MrsP
LIF Infant

Member since 2/11

303 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted by maybemommy10

I knew it ! He gave me the same shpeel.

On my 1st apt. with him he told me I would have to have a section b/c i have twinsChat Icon Chat Icon and he has pushed for it ever since. He goes through a lists of risks a mile long. But there are also risks (many would say increased) with major surgery also.

I think many doctors push for sections because 1) it is easier for them ..who wants to be woken up at 3am and have to possible wait around for 6-12 hrs to do it naturally. and 2) avoid legal repercussions.

This is a very personal decision, but I will say this. This is what our bodies were MADE for. Giving birth vaginally is natural. There is no denying that the recovery is WAY faster with natural. Vbacs are performed few and far between and have increased dangers.

Don't let ANYONE pressue you into something you are not comfortable with.

There is a reason why we have mommy instincts.
Chat Icon



I TOTALLY agree with this! Our bodies were designed to give birth.

I suggest you get Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin and read some of the wonderful birth experiences in it. It's so sad that in our culture childbirth is made out to be this scary thing when it should be amazing.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. Just make sure you are comfortable with your decision. Don't do anything because your doctor doesn't want to be inconvenienced!

Posted 8/8/11 4:29 PM
 

BeyondExcited
LIF Infant

Member since 7/11

159 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

My DS went a few days late. He was estimated to be 8 10 when they checked the day before and he was born almost 10lbs! I delivered him vaginally and it was fine. Not a walk in the park but afterwards I was fine!

For this next one if it measures big they will induce me and hopefully this one flies out since #1 paved the way! hahahah

I would not schedule a C section I would try vaginally first. It is DEF possible to do!

OR they can be off on their measuring I mean the day before my DS was 8 10 and then over night grew to be almost 10 lbs C"MON! SO maybe they over measured.

But in the end do what makes you more comfortable.

GOod luck
Chat Icon

Posted 8/8/11 4:30 PM
 

nraboni
Uggh...

Member since 10/09

6905 total posts

Name:
Nicole

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted by annoyedTTCer

Listen to the perinatologist.

The doctors often say a big kid is coming and then out pops a 7/8 pounder.




My perinatologist (kofinas) kept saying my DD was going to be close to 9lbs and she came out 7lbs 2 oz.

I would just go with your gut and what you feel comfortable with.

I opted for a c/s with Pillitteri because of other factors and it worked out great for me. I had a very strong feeling that I would end up with a c/s after being induced and I just didn't want to put my body through that...the recovery process of a c/s is tougher on your body once you have already been in labor for however many hours.

Good Luck to you and just keep in mind that the end result is always the same...you get the most precious gift you will ever get in your life!!

Message edited 8/8/2011 4:42:08 PM.

Posted 8/8/11 4:40 PM
 

ohbaby08
Winter is Coming

Member since 10/07

1718 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Posted by teaforthree

I'm going to see if we can maybe schedule an INDUCTION that could potentially lead to c-section instead of going right for c-section.




In my opinion, i wouldn't be scheduling an induction either. If there is no medical need, why set yourself up for potentially needing a c-section? You still have a week and a half until your due date and can easily go on your own before that. I would just sit tight for now and not schedule anything. Inductions in first time moms can be very long and the contractions can be much more painful than going on your own because of the pitocin (not with everyone, but from what I've researched) . My doc has offered me an induction for this thursday (I'm due on wed the 17th), but only because I'm not a first timer. I'm choosing to wait it out until I'm overdue, then I'll re-evaluate.

Posted 8/8/11 4:42 PM
 

jax1
Love my baby girl!!!

Member since 3/09

3405 total posts

Name:
Jackie

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

I don't know. You had a post like this before and my response will be the same:

If your dr is only saying C-section because of size of the baby, *I* wouldn't do it. JMO.

1.My sister and I were both almost 10 lbs, and my mom had a completely NATURAL birth. It wasn't "tramatic" for her, and she's TINY.

2. Those sonos are off by weight. Your baby might be 7 lbs, or 8 lbs, but again even if your baby is over 9 lbs, women do it everyday naturally.

If there are other reasons as to why your dr is suggesting a c-section, that is a different story. It just wouldnt sit right WITH ME if that was the only reason my dr wanted me to have a c-section.

Posted 8/8/11 4:54 PM
 

MrsKS
Thank You St. Gerard.....

Member since 12/09

8306 total posts

Name:
Kerri

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

hmm toss up.

the thing you really have to decide between is... do you want the bulk of pain to be during labor and birth... OR after the birth.

With a vaginal delivery you will have the labor and pushing pains... etc. basically the birth will be what's the hardest.

With a C section you will be in for pain after the baby is here... and you will need some major healing time. Honestly, having had a C and seeing friends have a vaginal delivery... they were up and running pretty much immediately after... while I couldn't just get up and do things like that... it took time. The amount of pain after the C for me... I def wouldn't consider having a C as cheating!! Trust me!!

If I were in your position... I'd probably lean towards the C, only because of the baby's size. If they are that concerned... I'd probably go with the dr's suggestion. Also, I for whatever reason have a fear of the baby getting stuck in the birth canal and needing forceps or something happening (like dislocated shoulder, etc.).
And, from what I understand, having a scheduled C is much better than going through labor for x hours and pushing etc then having to go for an emergency C... it's just harder on your body.

I had a choice on what to do with my baby since she was an unstable lye. There was concern for me going into labor because she kept changing positions (multiple times in a day and at the end of pregnancy too!!)... I could go into labor with her in position and then start pushing and she could turn... they offered to clamp her down and do all this crazy stuff (where I could need an emergency C in the end)... or I could have a scheduled C. I went for the scheduled C to avoid any complications that could very likely arise. I also had GD so they were concerned with her size as well (but she wasn't that large... born at 7.15).

Bottom line is... there's really only 2 ways to get this baby out... and they both kinda stink for the mother!! There's good and bad (mostly bad) to each way. That's just how I looked at it anyway. You might avoid one thing by going one method, but you are trading it for something else.

Message edited 8/8/2011 5:49:55 PM.

Posted 8/8/11 5:48 PM
 

haveaquestion
LIF Adult

Member since 11/09

918 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

I would try vaginally first. My brother was 10lbs and my mom didn't need a c-section.

Posted 8/8/11 5:56 PM
 

teaforthree
My Handsome Boy!

Member since 12/10

2549 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

Thank you all SO much for taking the time to read my dilemna and try to help me. Really... all your stories, experiences, etc. have been invaluable to me.

I'm hoping that nature just takes its course and the baby comes on his own terms. I am not opposed to anything - except a "crash" c-section that would put the baby in any danger, God forbid.

I guess I'll know more at my appointments on Thursday! Hopefully, anyway!

Thanks, all! Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 8/8/11 8:58 PM
 

MrsDamonSalv7319
Somewhere in Westeros

Member since 10/10

4495 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

I don't know what I think you should do, but here is my story.
DD measured big from 32 weeks @ both reg ob & specialist. They were estimating her to be around 9 lbs before she was born, and my dr discussed/ offered a c section since thet thought she would ne si big! DD decided she was too comfy & didn't want to come out...they let me go a week late & I went in for induction a week past my due date, a tue night. I got cervadil & they started the pitocin the next morning. I wanted a natural/drug free labor...that went out the door when the contractions really kicked in ( around 4pm wed). Pitocin intensifies labor & my cobtractions came hard & fast, but no real progress. Also, everytime I got up, the babies heart rate would drop, so I was stuck in bed hooked up to monitors and caved & got the drugs. At 3cms they let me have an epi. I only progressed to 6 cms & stalled so went in for a C at midnight Thur morning. (I also hadn't eaten/drank since tue night). The entire time the Drs kept saying that she must be too big to decend...DD was 7lbs 1oz & 20 inches.Chat Icon Not the huge baby they were anticipating and that was 9 days past my due date! She had low blood sugar, and I spiked a fever right before the c so she had to go to the NICU, both things I blame on being in labor stuck in bed for so long!! Looking back, I wish I would have gone for a c over induction! I wanted natural, but once that was off the table, I should have gone right for the c! (but not bc she was big, she wasn't, bc I was so late)

Posted 8/9/11 5:11 AM
 

schmora15
LIF Adult

Member since 9/08

2476 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

I would try vaginally first. I wound up having to have a csection with my DD and they scared the crap out of me with statistics of having to have multiple sections. With baby #2 its not so much an issue but if your planning on 3 and 4 it is. Just something to consider. I didn't find this out until afterwards and was upset no one told me before hand. GL!!!

Posted 8/9/11 7:16 AM
 

DeniseMarie
<3

Member since 8/07

10682 total posts

Name:

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

If it were me, I would try for a vaginal. Once you have a c-section, then most likely you will have c-sections for all your other deliveries. (at least IMO, it wasn't worth the risk of a uterine rupture)

Just a side note -A friend of mine recently had a baby and they estimated the baby to be over 9lbs. They scheduled her for a c-section and then it turned out the baby was only 7lbs. I felt really bad for her because the section was completely unnecessary. They also estimated my DD to be about 9lbs and she was also 7lbs when she was born. I hear that they over-estimate, a lot.

Posted 8/9/11 9:06 AM
 

VikingChick
LIF Adult

Member since 5/11

1024 total posts

Name:
Anna

Re: What would you do? re: delivering baby options

I just wanted to add the benefits to baby for being in labor, even if you do wind up with a c-section-- baby's lungs do better with even some labor.
ITA agree with what others have said about repeat c-sections, esp if you plan on having more kids, and with not letting the doc pressure you into a c-section b/c they often do them for liability or ease of scheduling purposes.
GL!

Posted 8/9/11 12:28 PM
 
Pages: 1 [2]
 

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
BTDT Moms: Breech baby options MrsList 3/9/10 14 Pregnancy
Input on naming options for baby #2-- looking for opinions about an issue nbc188 2/4/10 64 Parenting
What would you do if you were me? Regarding delivering your baby munchkinfacemama 8/14/09 17 Pregnancy
In which hospital will you be delivering your baby? Flower 2/18/09 54 Pregnancy
who else has baby fever after all these 2nd time moms delivering? JerseyMamaOf3 5/9/08 35 Parenting
Baby Movements - how is your baby moving? MrsJ 12/9/05 14 Pregnancy
 
Quick navigation:   
Currently 1392843 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
1 More Rep
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms
Teresa Geraghty Photography
Camelot Dream Homes
Long Island Wedding Boutique
MB Febus- Rodan & Fields
Camp Harbor
Market America-Shop.com
ACM Basement Waterproofing
Travel Tom

      Follow LIWeddings on Facebook

      Follow LIFamilies on Twitter
Long Island Bridal Shows