LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

So it would seem that weather forecasters STILL...................

Posted By Message

Hofstra26
Take Me To Disney!

Member since 7/06

24409 total posts

Name:
Kristen

...........have not perfected the art of predicting snow. Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon So much for a dusting, we have about 6" by me, schools are closed and it's STILL snowing.

Posted 1/30/18 8:58 AM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

LuckyStar
LIF Adult

Member since 7/14

6285 total posts

Name:

I was surprised this morning too but only a dusting in Nassau. Traffic was slightly worse than usual but roads were fine.

Posted 1/30/18 9:00 AM

mommy2be716
LIF Adult

Member since 1/16

2686 total posts

Name:

schools are closed? what district are you in?

luvmykids8
LIF Adult

Member since 9/15

2037 total posts

Name:

I had no idea it was going to snow. I look outside and was shocked!!

NervousNell
Just another chapter in life..

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:
..being a mommy and being a wife!

Re: So it would seem that weather forecasters STILL...................

We have a 2 hour delay
I was woken up at 530 am by the robo call and shocked.
I had no idea we were getting anything

Posted 1/30/18 9:03 AM

busymomonli
Resident Insomniac

Member since 4/13

1741 total posts

Name:

Our schools are closed also, and all the surrounding districts. Originally we started as a two hour delay. There has to be at least 6-7" on the ground here.

Posted 1/30/18 9:05 AM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by busymomonli

Our schools are closed also, and all the surrounding districts. Originally we started as a two hour delay. There has to be at least 6-7" on the ground here.

God help me they better not close ours. We already blew our only 2 built in snow days on that last storm and now if we have more we have to start pulling from Memorial Day and Spring Break.
I'd much rather have her home in the nice weather than now.
Fingers cross they keep to their 2 hour delay

Posted 1/30/18 9:07 AM

MrsT809
LIF Adult

Member since 9/09

11901 total posts

Name:

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

God help me they better not close ours. We already blew our only 2 built in snow days on that last storm and now if we have more we have to start pulling from Memorial Day and Spring Break.

The high school already started, they're not closing.

Posted 1/30/18 9:09 AM

Hofstra26
Take Me To Disney!

Member since 7/06

24409 total posts

Name:
Kristen

Posted by mommy2be716

schools are closed? what district are you in?

Three Village. I am in Stony Brook. They first called a 2 hour delay, then around 8am they closed.

Posted 1/30/18 9:10 AM

MrsT809
LIF Adult

Member since 9/09

11901 total posts

Name:

We have a delay. The roads are pretty well cleared at this point and we're only getting flurries now. Glad we stayed open but my kids are home sick anyway.

Posted 1/30/18 9:11 AM

Hofstra26
Take Me To Disney!

Member since 7/06

24409 total posts

Name:
Kristen

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

Because of today, we just lost a day of Spring Break.

Posted 1/30/18 9:11 AM

stinger
LIF Adult

Member since 11/11

4971 total posts

Name:

Follow NYC weather alerts on FB he is pretty entertaining not a pro by any means but called for this...

Posted 1/30/18 9:13 AM

GoldenRod
10 years on LIF!

Member since 11/06

25197 total posts

Name:
Shawn

We had a two hour delay. I saw DS get on the bus, so I HOPE school is open... Chat Icon

Posted 1/30/18 9:14 AM

BargainMama
LIF Adult

Member since 5/09

14842 total posts

Name:

We have 3 snow days built in, so this was our last. But, if we get another, I think they still count the Superintendent conference day as a day of instruction. If they take from Spring Break, oh well...I just wouldn't send mine in!

Posted 1/30/18 9:15 AM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by Hofstra26

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

We were saying they should take the days from WINTER break instead. Winter break is still close enough to the Christmas break that I always feel it's overkill. Plus it's smack in the middle of winter so DD ends up cooped up in the house for a week going out of her mind.
I'd way rather lose days from Feb break than Spring break!

Posted 1/30/18 9:16 AM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by BargainMama

We have 3 snow days built in, so this was our last. But, if we get another, I think they still count the Superintendent conference day as a day of instruction. If they take from Spring Break, oh well...I just wouldn't send mine in!

yeah i already booked a trip for wed-fri of spring break so those would be the days they start to take from. Oh well.

Posted 1/30/18 9:17 AM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by MrsT809

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

The high school already started, they're not closing.

True. Chat Icon

Posted 1/30/18 9:17 AM

lilqtny
-Crossfit & pitbull addict

Member since 7/06

2830 total posts

Name:
Tracy

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by Hofstra26

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

We were saying they should take the days from WINTER break instead. Winter break is still close enough to the Christmas break that I always feel it's overkill. Plus it's smack in the middle of winter so DD ends up cooped up in the house for a week going out of her mind.

No way!!! As a teacher I disagree 100% the kids need winter break. They have cabin fever and they are off the walls in school Maybe not the older kids but definitely the younger ones. They are missing out on recess and after school its already too dark/cold to play outside. That break is necessary for the sanity of teachers everywhere. lol

Posted 1/30/18 1:20 PM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by lilqtny

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by Hofstra26

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

No way!!! As a teacher I disagree 100% the kids need winter break. They have cabin fever and they are off the walls in school Maybe not the older kids but definitely the younger ones. They are missing out on recess and after school its already too dark/cold to play outside. That break is necessary for the sanity of teachers everywhere. lol

No, I get it, but I just feel like if you HAVE to pull days, it would be better to pull from there than the spring when the weather is nice and they can spend the break outside burning off that energy rather than cooped up.
But maybe that's just from a parent's perspective, not a teacher's. Chat Icon

Posted 1/30/18 1:28 PM

nycbuslady
LIF Adolescent

Member since 9/15

566 total posts

Name:

I agree 100%. There's really no reason to have off all week. I could see President's Day and then maybe Tuesday. But, back to school on Wednesday!

The funny thing is that that week was started in the 1970s as "Fuel Week". That was when fuel prices were so high and the schools figured they could save some money by not heating the schools for one week. For some reason, it just never went away after that!

Posted 1/30/18 2:30 PM

NervousNell

Member since 11/09

49884 total posts

Name:

Posted by nycbuslady

I agree 100%. There's really no reason to have off all week. I could see President's Day and then maybe Tuesday. But, back to school on Wednesday!

The funny thing is that that week was started in the 1970s as "Fuel Week". That was when fuel prices were so high and the schools figured they could save some money by not heating the schools for one week. For some reason, it just never went away after that!

Wow I did not know that! I always wondered why they were off that whole week after just having the Dec break.
Interesting!

Posted 1/30/18 2:37 PM

Naturalmama
Love my boys!!

Member since 1/12

2730 total posts

Name:
Christine

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by nycbuslady

Wow I did not know that! I always wondered why they were off that whole week after just having the Dec break.
Interesting!

NY kids & teachers are spoiled. Most other states only get President's Day & maybe the day after. I am a teacher, before anyone jumps down my throat. Chat Icon

Message edited 1/30/2018 6:11:09 PM.

Posted 1/30/18 6:10 PM

stinger
LIF Adult

Member since 11/11

4971 total posts

Name:

Posted by Naturalmama

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by nycbuslady

Interesting!

NY kids & teachers are spoiled. Most other states only get President's Day & maybe the day after. I am a teacher, before anyone jumps down my throat. Chat Icon

My nephew OOS gets 2 full weeks for Christmas they get out in early may and start in mid August

Posted 1/30/18 6:27 PM

MegZee
My bunny

Member since 5/06

8770 total posts

Name:
Meaghan

Posted by Hofstra26

Posted by NervousNell

Posted by busymomonli

Three Village hasn’t lost spring break days yet....today’s closing we lost the Friday before Memorial Day.

Next snow day we lose spring break!

Posted 1/30/18 6:57 PM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
The one time I didn't believe the weather forecasters.... bklyngirl 3/16/07 0 Families Helping Families ™
Severe weather alert. june262004 7/5/05 8 Families Helping Families ™
how is everyone dealing with this hot weather luvsbob4603 6/14/05 11 Families Helping Families ™
This weather is horrible for the hair... Giannas-mama 6/13/05 18 Parenting
This weather...... Diane 6/6/05 3 Diet & Fitness
whast up with this weather?! Jesaroo 6/6/05 14 Families Helping Families ™

Quick navigation:   
Currently 32261 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms