LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

How Do You Get Rid of a Pigeon's Nest with Eggs

Posted By Message

ourlivesstartnow2012
New Year, New Everything!

Member since 6/12

2689 total posts

Name:

We live in a co-op in Flushing and we have a balcony. DH was out on the balcony (we're on the 18th floor) and found a pigeon's nest under our electric grill and it has 4 eggs in it. I've googled about how to get rid of it but there isn't really a definite answer. I'm scared if we move it the eggs will die. I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant and started crying last night thinking about it (stupid hormones).

DH says he's going to scoop up the eggs with a cup and gloves so that his smell doesn't get on them. Will that be enough? If we take down the nest, will they just build another one? How do we prevent that? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much!!!!

Posted 5/22/13 10:14 AM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

neener1211
:-)

Member since 4/07

22952 total posts

Name:
J

Re: How Do You Get Rid of a Pigeon's Nest with Eggs

If you move the eggs, the mother won't find them.

Is the nest in your grill? Or just under it? As long as the nest is outside, I'd leave it be till the eggs are hatched.

Posted 5/22/13 10:18 AM

ourlivesstartnow2012

Member since 6/12

2689 total posts

Name:

Posted by neener1211

Is the nest in your grill? Or just under it? As long as the nest is outside, I'd leave it be till the eggs are hatched.

That's the other thing I'm afraid of. It's under the grill. We don't want it to hatch out there because then we will have 4 little birds outside our window and with the baby coming I'd rather now have a family of pigeons on the balcony.

Posted 5/22/13 10:19 AM

Kitten1929
LIF Adult

Member since 1/13

6040 total posts

Name:

Posted by neener1211

Me too. Is it being a nuisance in any other way?

Posted 5/22/13 10:19 AM

ourlivesstartnow2012

Member since 6/12

2689 total posts

Name:

Posted by Kitten1929

Posted by neener1211

Well the pigeons keep coming back to guard the eggs or check on them or whatever and there is not pigeon poop all over our balcony which makes it hard to go out there. Plus we now can't grill. I know it's sounds petty but we have a balcony and now we feel like we can't use it. Even after the eggs hatch then we have to wait until the birds can fly. And then how to do we prevent this from happening again? The balcony is probably about 7X7. It's not very big.

Posted 5/22/13 10:44 AM

Pumpkin1
LIF Adult

Member since 12/05

3715 total posts

Name:

I "think" it is illegal to move wild bird nests, but I could be wrong. Have you called 311? They may be able to put you in contact with the agency responsible for this and they can probably provide you with the information you need. I just read somewhere that they will only stay for up to 14 days, but it is the internet and may not be true.

Posted 5/22/13 12:01 PM

princess99
LIF Adult

Member since 5/05

3934 total posts

Name:
ME

I had this last year, and had the nest moved to a different part of the yard and away from my house, then they put up pigeon wire to stop them from rebuilding. I was told they carry diseases and they bring filth and other bugs. I just wanted to the babies to be okay and the Mommy pigeon.

Posted 5/22/13 3:48 PM

ourlivesstartnow2012

Member since 6/12

2689 total posts

Name:

GREAT thanks girls! I'm not sure that pigeons fall under "wild bird" so I might be ok. I'll try to call 311 and see what info they have.

And I agree princess, that is EXACTLY why I want them off my balcony. DH usually goes out there for an occasional cigar and now he's too skeeved out to do so.

Posted 5/22/13 7:14 PM

sunnyflies
LIF Adult

Member since 9/09

1757 total posts

Name:

Pigeons are considered flying rats, cute as they can be. If you allow them to hatch it will be three weeks from coming out of their eggs until the babies fledge. The parents feed them pigeon "milk" which is not actually milk, but a sort of milky slurry they create in their crops from food the parent eats. The babies put their heads almost down the parents throats to get to it. It's interesting to watch.

Pigeons reproduce all year long - winter does not stop them. We had them in our barn hatching clutches of eggs in January and February. We finally had to practice pigeon birth control as we had too many. I used a rake to pull down the nests once a week. The eggs would break all over the barn floor. If I forgot and left it for two weeks I didn't dare as I didn't want to see half formed baby birds squished on the floor.

Pigeon eggs take three weeks from when the hen starts to sit on them - not from the day the first egg is laid - to hatching. It's the sitting with its constant warmth that stimulates the fertilized eggs to grow.

If I were you, depending on how long those eggs have been there, either make a decision to get rid of them immediately, or let them hatch. If you keep them to watch the babies grow, as soon as they have fledged - GET RID of the nest and don't let the parents build another. Believe me, the parents will lay new eggs right after the young are gone. Worse, the young might bring others back and start their own families and before you know it you will be infested with them.

Posted 5/27/13 10:35 PM

Rosie4
LIF Adolescent

Member since 2/12

643 total posts

Name:

Posted by neener1211

I agree!

Posted 5/28/13 8:35 AM

ourlivesstartnow2012

Member since 6/12

2689 total posts

Name:

Posted by sunnyflies

Pigeons are considered flying rats, cute as they can be. If you allow them to hatch it will be three weeks from coming out of their eggs until the babies fledge. The parents feed them pigeon "milk" which is not actually milk, but a sort of milky slurry they create in their crops from food the parent eats. The babies put their heads almost down the parents throats to get to it. It's interesting to watch.

Pigeons reproduce all year long - winter does not stop them. We had them in our barn hatching clutches of eggs in January and February. We finally had to practice pigeon birth control as we had too many. I used a rake to pull down the nests once a week. The eggs would break all over the barn floor. If I forgot and left it for two weeks I didn't dare as I didn't want to see half formed baby birds squished on the floor.

Pigeon eggs take three weeks from when the hen starts to sit on them - not from the day the first egg is laid - to hatching. It's the sitting with its constant warmth that stimulates the fertilized eggs to grow.

If I were you, depending on how long those eggs have been there, either make a decision to get rid of them immediately, or let them hatch. If you keep them to watch the babies grow, as soon as they have fledged - GET RID of the nest and don't let the parents build another. Believe me, the parents will lay new eggs right after the young are gone. Worse, the young might bring others back and start their own families and before you know it you will be infested with them.

Thank you SO much for this!!! We got rid of the eggs and the nest. We bought fake hawks to put on the balcony and are going to buy some pigeon wire to hopefully keep them from coming back. Luckily our cat is pigeon crazy and every time one flies by the window or sits on the balcony she RUNS to the window and we are able to shoe them away. They don't come as frequent (knock on wood) since we got rid of the nest. Hopefully it stays this way. It's sad thinking about what might have happened to the eggs (we moved them to a tree under our apartment building) but like my husband said "I love every animal but my family comes before anything."

Posted 5/28/13 9:02 AM

Eunyboo
<3

Member since 7/12

4372 total posts

Name:
E

Glad you were able to *knock on wood* take care of this! Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 5/28/13 9:12 AM

PregowithTwins
My boys turned 5

Member since 5/11

2444 total posts

Name:
Donna

Posted by ourlivesstartnow2012

Posted by Kitten1929

Posted by neener1211

Well the pigeons keep coming back to guard the eggs or check on them or whatever and there is not pigeon poop all over our balcony which makes it hard to go out there. Plus we now can't grill. I know it's sounds petty but we have a balcony and now we feel like we can't use it. Even after the eggs hatch then we have to wait until the birds can fly. And then how to do we prevent this from happening again? The balcony is probably about 7X7. It's not very big.

How often do you grill? You should have moved the nest prior to eggs hatching when they were building it. They won't be there that long......hang in there. I would call animal rescue & ask them what to do

Posted 9/30/13 7:26 AM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
How to get rid of a wasps nest? Goobster 7/7/11 3 Home
Getting rid of a bird's nest / preventing ???? CunningOne 5/21/11 16 Home
How to get rid of a wasp nest CroatianBride 5/8/11 7 Families Helping Families ™
Does anyone know who to call to get rid of a moth's nest Tine73 6/29/07 7 Home
Pigeon eggs?? jenheartsrob 8/1/07 6 Home

Quick navigation:   
Currently 22685 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
New Businesses
Carleton Hall of East Islip
J&A Building Services
LaraMae Health Coaching
Sonic Wellness
Julbaby Photography LLC
Ideal Uniforms
Teresa Geraghty Photography