LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

Thoughts on Pope Francis' statements

Posted By Message

2BadSoSad
LIF Adult

Member since 8/12

4053 total posts

Name:

I am a liberal Catholic and it a lot of ways I cannot get behind the agenda's of the church. This is a Pope I can get behind and I while I still dont agree with the teachings on abortion, gays, etc in the church, I do find it refreshing to see a Pope more or less, say, get off your high horse, we have bigger things to worry about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/pope-francis-gay_n_3954776.html

Posted 9/20/13 9:37 AM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

MrsA714
Baby #2 is here!

Member since 8/07

8691 total posts

Name:

Re: Thoughts on Pope Francis' statements

Posted by 2BadSoSad

This is a Pope I can get behind and I while I still dont agree with the teachings on abortion, gays, etc in the church, I do find it refreshing to see a Pope more or less, say, get off your high horse, we have bigger things to worry about.

I am with you on this. Refreshing is exactly the word I used when discussing this with someone earlier! So far, I have been very pleased with this Pope Chat Icon

Posted 9/20/13 9:40 AM

sunnygirl
loving life

Member since 1/07

4795 total posts

Name:
D

I love him I think he is a breath of fresh air and people need to listen to him

Posted 9/20/13 9:46 AM

mrsm-2011
4 Months 'til Baby Boy is here

Member since 6/12

2069 total posts

Name:
Theresa

Posted by sunnygirl

I love him I think he is a breath of fresh air and people need to listen to him

I agree with you completely. They mentioned something about what he said on the radio this morning and I actually said I love this pope.

Posted 9/20/13 9:49 AM

MrsPenthouse
LIF Adolescent

Member since 11/10

742 total posts

Name:
Diana

I'm a big fan of Pope Francis. I'm a moderate to slightly conservative Catholic but do believe that the church needs to evolve to an extent to retain its following.

He lives his gospel, Amen to that!

Posted 9/20/13 9:49 AM

LSP2005
Bunny kisses are so cute!

Member since 5/05

14449 total posts

Name:
L

I am not Catholic or Christian but I think he is a fantastic Pope. He is really bringing the Church into the modern era. I hope that his enlightenment travels through the parishioners too.

Posted 9/20/13 9:51 AM

Jax430
"So big!"

Member since 5/05

18732 total posts

Name:
Jackie

Posted by LSP2005

I am not Catholic or Christian but I think he is a fantastic Pope. He is really bringing the Church into the modern era. I hope that his enlightenment travels through the parishioners too.

I was just about to say...I'm Jewish, and I'm a fan so far! It's nice to see him trying to bridge the gap between the traditional church and modern times. He seems to be just what the Catholic Church needs right now.

Posted 9/20/13 9:53 AM

halfbaked
LIF Adult

Member since 8/12

6938 total posts

Name:

I was raised Catholic, but I do not practice and I distance myself as much from the church as possible. I actually don't believe in organized religion. But it is definitely reassuring to see that despite his age, he doesn't have such outdated notions.

I particularly liked this statement:

Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.

A person is so much more than they're sexual orientation.

I wonder how the congregation will receive his words. For Christians, they aren't necessarily a tolerant bunch but it goes against everything to disagree with the Pope. We'll see.

Message edited 9/20/2013 9:56:18 AM.

Posted 9/20/13 9:55 AM

DiamondGirl
You are my I love you

Member since 7/09

16616 total posts

Name:
DiamondMama

I am feel happy and I feel proud that he is our Pope and that he is showing that we can make progress, it is a beautiful thing and I hope it continues and spreads.

Posted 9/20/13 11:28 AM

DMT
LIF Adult

Member since 6/05

1808 total posts

Name:

I think it is great.

As a Catholic, I always found it so hard to digest the hypocricital way of saying we love and embrace all of God's people, really, do we??? Far from in my opinion.

This is a step to being a more tolerant people.

But there are those in the church who remain steadfast in the beliefs of the church that are going to have a field-day with his comments.

Message edited 9/20/2013 11:41:33 AM.

Posted 9/20/13 11:39 AM

2BadSoSad
LIF Adult

Member since 8/12

4053 total posts

Name:

Posted by DMT

I think it is great.

As a Catholic, I always found it so hard to digest the hypocricital way of saying we love and embrace all of God's people, really, do we??? Far from in my opinion.

But there are those in the church who remain steadfast in the beliefs of the church that are going to have a field-day with his comments.

I agree, but I also think its a smart business move. Eventually, the "old school catholics" are going to dwindle bc of age, and without "fresh blood" the Catholic Church is doomed, so I think aside from the preaching of remaining open to all and let God be their judge, its also a smart business move to bring new people either TO the church or get those who were turned off by the ultraconservative church of the past to return. I have to say, as a non practicing catholic and a lot bc of their stances, Im intrigued and it is renewing my faith in the Church itself.

Posted 9/20/13 12:03 PM

DMT
LIF Adult

Member since 6/05

1808 total posts

Name:

Posted by 2BadSoSad

Posted by DMT

I think it is great.

I agree, but I also think its a smart business move. Eventually, the "old school catholics" are going to dwindle bc of age, and without "fresh blood" the Catholic Church is doomed, so I think aside from the preaching of remaining open to all and let God be their judge, its also a smart business move to bring new people either TO the church or get those who were turned off by the ultraconservative church of the past to return. I have to say, as a non practicing catholic and a lot bc of their stances, Im intrigued and it is renewing my faith in the Church itself.

Good points, it is in the best interest of the church to be more open for the new generations, I agree and this is a step that way.

I also felt the same way that you did when I heard this news, intrigued in the direction things are going.

I always considered myself an 'ala carte catholic' I like to pick the parts I 100% agree with.

Posted 9/20/13 12:07 PM

HoneyBadger
YourWorstNightmare.

Member since 10/06

15938 total posts

Name:
BahBahBlackJeep

Posted by 2BadSoSad

Posted by DMT

I think it is great.

I agree with both these comments.

I do think it's a big step in the right direction and I'm glad it's happening. It's about time we actually practice what we preach!!

And as someone turned off and away from the Catholic church I, too, find it is renewing my faith a little in the Church as well.

Posted 9/20/13 12:07 PM

AllyMally
LIF Adolescent

Member since 1/13

633 total posts

Name:
Alyson

I am not Catholic, but I think it's great! I love how he is saying ok enough lets focus on what this religion should be and not all this other stuff.

Question. For Catholic's that don't believe in the teachings of homosexuality, abortion, and so on why are you still Catholic? There are plenty of religions that do support the right to choose so why stay in a religion you obviously do not agree with? I know in my religion if I did not agree with the church's teachings I would be asked to leave. I could still go to service, but I would not be a member anymore. Especially if you have kids why not just leave? Is it because that is what your family is and expects you to remain? I am honestly curious. I hear of so many non practicing Catholics and those that disagree and it always made me wonder why not be Methodist or another form or Christianity?

Posted 9/20/13 6:13 PM

peanutbutter2
Carpe diem!

Member since 11/10

4982 total posts

Name:

I just love Pope Francis! My friend and I were just discussing this topic week. I think he is a wonderful, wonderful change for the Catholic Church.

Posted 9/20/13 6:24 PM

peanutbutter2
Carpe diem!

Member since 11/10

4982 total posts

Name:

Posted by AllyMally

I am not Catholic, but I think it's great! I love how he is saying ok enough lets focus on what this religion should be and not all this other stuff.

Question. For Catholic's that don't believe in the teachings of homosexuality, abortion, and so on why are you still Catholic? There are plenty of religions that do support the right to choose so why stay in a religion you obviously do not agree with? I know in my religion if I did not agree with the church's teachings I would be asked to leave. I could still go to service, but I would not be a member anymore. Especially if you have kids why not just leave? Is it because that is what your family is and expects you to remain? I am honestly curious. I hear of so many non practicing Catholics and those that disagree and it always made me wonder why not be Methodist or another form or Christianity?

Well, I don't agree entirely with any religion. I have explored other Christian faiths, and I do not 100% agree with any of them. As a result, leaving Catholicism because I don't agree with it 100% wouldn't make sense. The only faith I believe in 100% is my very own.

In addition to that, Catholicism is my faith, but it's also my culture and my family. Generations of my family have practiced the Catholic faith, I believe in the symbolic meaning of Lent, I pray to the saints, etc.

I don't attend church anymore because the priest at my church started speaking out against gay marriage at every mass, and I cannot stand behind that. I simply haven't looked for a new parish because DH and I are not in our "forever" home, and I don't want to get attached if I'm just going to have to leave. That might be silly, but it's my reason right now.

However, my faith in God and Jesus is very strong, and I am an extremely spiritual person. I practice Catholicism by myself. When I have children, DH and I will absolutely bring them to church because we do believe in that structure and because, ultimately, we have found a great deal of peace from attending church.

Also....DH was raised without religion. About four years ago, he became Catholic--his own choice--...nothing I asked him to do. I respect and admire that decision of his, and I would not want to change-at least partially-due to it.

Message edited 9/20/2013 6:32:08 PM.

Posted 9/20/13 6:26 PM

BlessedMomma
LIF Adult

Member since 12/11

3427 total posts

Name:
Momma Bear

In response to what ally mally posted... in my opinion i do not think you have to belong to a church to call yourself catholic. Or belong to a synagogue to call yourself jewish. I also dont believe in supporting anything 100% blindly because your told to or your not catholic. Or not sllowed to practice at all. And its that small mindedness that makes people leave churches.
I dont believe in any organized religion. I am a spiritual person. I believe jn God. Right and wrong. But i dont need soneone to tell me how i shoukd think. Or in 1 breath tell me God loves all his children... and in another breath tell me unless they are gay. Then your not loved.

Posted 9/20/13 10:40 PM

2BadSoSad
LIF Adult

Member since 8/12

4053 total posts

Name:

To me, its like being a Democrat, I believe in 90% of their stances, but there are some I lean conservative on, but Im predominantly liberal so I consider myself a good fit as a Democrat.

I also believe that the bible is up to interpretation. I believe that conservative Catholics interpret things as they may not have been intended, to fit their agenda. These same Conservative Catholics, also choose to not literally interpret other parts of the bible bc it doesn't work for them but choose to literally interpret these things bc it fits their agenda. Like in all things in modern day, people will slant it to support their agenda.

IMO, the bible says lying with another man in RITUALLY UNCLEAN, which is basically what leviticus covers. It also says the same of eating fowl and menstruating women. There is a difference between a SIN and something being ritually unclean.

My PERSONAL interpretation is that, homosexuality IS NOT considered a sin by the church, but homosexual acts ARE. And fine, lets say they are, SO IS HETEROSEXUAL "FORNICATION". So, in addition to sex, so is laying with your neighbors wife, so is adultery, so is stealing, so is not going to church every Sunday, but if you can convince me that not one of these ultra-conservatives has not then "sinned" then they can feel free to cast stones. However, I don't think thats the case. So, I think its more in human judgement than the actual teachings of the Bible. They also say the same of prositution, but lest not forget Jesus and mary magdalene.

I don't think it is all black and white. I think Catholicism in its basis of beliefs, morals, traditions and religious message mostly fit with what I believe. I also believe there is a human element to religion and none of us will all blindly believe the same thing despite the common base. I think human opinion has skewed the teachings of the church, maybe not the teachings of the church but what should be the FOCUS of the Church.

I believe it God, and Christ, and the Holy Trinity, I believe in the traditions and Sacraments of the Church. I DO NOT believe that humans have all interpreted the Bible as intended.

I believe that God and Jesus intended a different message, even IF they aren't accepting of gays or abortion, then that is for GOD only to judge on judgement day and not for us, even Pope's to do here on earth. I believe God made ALL of his in HIS image, and its us humans who have damned one another, not God himself. So I believe in his message, in his teachings, but I also recognize that HUMANS and their perceptions are not infallible and its not CATHOLICISM that is the issue, it is some of the FOLLOWERS of Catholicism.

Message edited 9/20/2013 11:35:06 PM.

Posted 9/20/13 10:55 PM

Mrs213
LIF Adult

Member since 2/09

13262 total posts

Name:
S

Not catholic but I say hey it's about time!!Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 9/20/13 11:21 PM

Quick navigation: