LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

Food Shopping: Shoprite vs. Stop n Shop

Posted By Message

HomeIsWithU
Love my little man <3

Member since 9/07

4363 total posts

Name:
J

Food Shopping: Shoprite vs. Stop n Shop

I usually shop at Stop n Shop because I prefer their selection and their fresh produce, but everyone tells me it's expensive compared to Shoprite.

With moving into the new house, we need to save as much as possible. My shopping list for this week is HUGE and I'm terrified it's going to cost an arm and a leg..and possibly my first born child Chat Icon For those of you who have shopped at both supermarkets, which do you think is cheaper? Is it a considerable difference?

Posted 10/31/11 4:41 PM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

BaysideForever
LIF Adult

Member since 1/11

6893 total posts

Name:

Re: Food Shopping: Shoprite vs. Stop n Shop

they are about the same to me. I shop the deals of the week. So this week, shoprite has some good deals (at least the one in patchogue that just opened) but I usually tend to find Stop and Shop has overall best prices and selection. They do tend to run out of sale items though, which gets annoying.

Posted 10/31/11 5:02 PM

rojerono
Happiest.

Member since 8/06

13807 total posts

Name:
Jeannie

I usually stop at Stop & Shop because it is right near me.. but this week I did Shoprite and saved a lot of money. Maybe because it was Grand Opening.. but it was a considerably smaller bill this week.

Posted 10/31/11 6:27 PM

want2bmommy
LIF Infant

Member since 4/11

308 total posts

Name:

I shop at both, depending on the sales! Last week it happened to be Shoprite and I couldn't believe how little I spent and how many items I purchased.

Last week Shoprite had Edy's ice cream for 1.50...I went back 2x. They also had amazing deals on bread, DiGiorno pizza and General Mills cereal. However, for chicken and stuff, I feel that they are competitively priced.

Posted 10/31/11 7:41 PM

charon54
My two boys!

Member since 5/05

7123 total posts

Name:
Rebecca

Funny you say this, because we have officially decided as of this week we aren't shopping at Stop and Shop anymore. Shoprite is SO much cheaper. It's an extra 10-15 minute drive, but so worth it.

Posted 10/31/11 9:37 PM

RoleModel
LIF Toddler

Member since 4/08

498 total posts

Name:

Shoprite definitely, but Stop & Shop isn't too bad as a backup. Waldbaums, Pathmark and King Kullen are pretty bad nowadays though.

Posted 11/1/11 12:08 AM

piggy007
Mommy of 2!!

Member since 11/08

1742 total posts

Name:

Stop and Shop is right near me so I go there if I don't have time to drive to Shoprite which is about a 15min drive. But I do save a considerable amount going to shoprite compared to Stop and Shop. I will also go to pathmark now and then which is also a decent savings from stop and shop.

Posted 11/1/11 8:53 AM

bicosi
life is a carousel

Member since 7/07

14956 total posts

Name:
M

SnS is right by me and I clip coupons and what not but I will tell you that unless I get a REAL crazy deal, I now go to Shoprite.. It's more of a drive but so worth it!

I just went food shopping and I got a ton of stuff and between cellfire, instore coupons plus my coupons, I saved SO much more money than I ever did at SnS where I barely have a full cart of food..

I have found that in order to get the best deals, I have to split up my shopping.. bulk of groceries at Shoprite, cereals and other little stuff from Target (can't beat the debit redcard 5% off) and fresh produce from the local farmstand..

Posted 11/1/11 12:38 PM

LINewbie
Tigger the the Rescue!

Member since 8/08

5647 total posts

Name:
LB

I am starting to prefer ShopRite to S n S, but since the ShopRite ad doesn't come in the paper anymore, I still mostly shop at S N S. The shop rite ad is too hard to read online.

Posted 11/2/11 12:23 PM

GinaR
LIF Adult

Member since 9/08

1932 total posts

Name:
Gina

I find stop and shop to basically be the same prices as waldbaums. And usually nicer. I have never been to a shoprite. I don't think there are any in Nassau, and if there are, I am not aware of them. Anyone know if there are any?

Posted 11/2/11 12:43 PM

skinny
All Boys!!! <3

Member since 11/08

8156 total posts

Name:
Momma

Shop Rite is sooooo much cheaper IMO!

Posted 11/2/11 1:30 PM

dm24angel
Happiness

Member since 5/05

34581 total posts

Name:
Donna

OMG, by me anyway, Shoprite is SOOO much cheaper. Insanly cheaper! I always spend a lot less there.

Posted 11/2/11 1:36 PM

RoleModel
LIF Toddler

Member since 4/08

498 total posts

Name:

Posted by GinaR

I find stop and shop to basically be the same prices as waldbaums. And usually nicer. I have never been to a shoprite. I don't think there are any in Nassau, and if there are, I am not aware of them. Anyone know if there are any?

2 in Plainview, one in Uniondale.

Posted 11/2/11 1:46 PM

Bamama
LIF Adolescent

Member since 8/11

654 total posts

Name:

I agree that Shop Rite is cheaper- especially with their sales. Also, I have had more luck with organic produce there and the SR organic line is pretty extensive. Maybe not as big as Stop and Shop's Nature's Promise line, but I have always been able to find what I need. I especially like their organic oatmeal. And they do run sales on their organic produce which is great. I got organic bananas for 59cents per pound a few weeks ago. The one in Uniondale is still pretty new and is very close to East Meadow. They have a big staff, so when I have gone, there are never checkout lines. You have to watch their produce and dates on dairy, but I have found that with most places.

Posted 11/2/11 2:04 PM

rojerono
Happiest.

Member since 8/06

13807 total posts

Name:
Jeannie

I just got coupons for Shoprite for Sunday...
99 cents for a half gallon of Tropicana!!
99 cents for a half gallon of Turkey Hill or Breyers Ice Cream!
99 cents a lb for boneless, skinless chicken breasts!

Guess where I'm shopping this week?

Posted 11/2/11 5:13 PM

GinaR
LIF Adult

Member since 9/08

1932 total posts

Name:
Gina

Posted by RoleModel

Posted by GinaR

2 in Plainview, one in Uniondale.

thanks! I had no idea!

Posted 11/2/11 5:23 PM

mathteach
&hearts Lily Meghan &hearts

Member since 8/08

3074 total posts

Name:
Christine

Posted by rojerono

I just got coupons for Shoprite for Sunday...
99 cents for a half gallon of Tropicana!!
99 cents for a half gallon of Turkey Hill or Breyers Ice Cream!
99 cents a lb for boneless, skinless chicken breasts!

Guess where I'm shopping this week?

Where did you find those??

I really want to shop at Shop Rite but the one near me
a. smells. I don't know like what.
b. is full of obnoxious people. I was looking at roasts and this woman moved my cart. That I was standing next to. And would have gladly moved had she told me it was in her way.
c. did I mention that my DD was in the cart????
d. is just disorganized

Posted 11/2/11 7:42 PM

KMCGK
Gotta have faith

Member since 7/09

2176 total posts

Name:
Keep the Faith

Shop Rite has great circular coupons on the first page of their circular. However, I shop on Sundays and at times, they're almost out of what they're advertising on sale and it begins Sunday!

Stop and Shop has double manufacturer coupons this week if you clip their coupon for it, ends Fri I think.

Posted 11/2/11 8:01 PM

marieSand
Hello LIF!!!

Member since 8/10

1224 total posts

Name:
marie

Posted by dm24angel

OMG, by me anyway, Shoprite is SOOO much cheaper. Insanly cheaper! I always spend a lot less there.

this! I love Shoprite!

Posted 11/2/11 8:06 PM

DrMeg
Officially a CA girl

Member since 5/08

1552 total posts

Name:
Meg

DH and I use Shoprite. We tried Stop and Shop for a few weeks and I was spending $50 extra, on average, at Stop and Shop for the same items I get at Shoprite.

Posted 11/2/11 8:10 PM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt take their daughters, Zahara and Shilohgrocery shopping at Stop & Shop in New York GossipQueen 4/21/09 16 Celebrities & Entertainment
Shoprite, Stop n Shop Beef Recall Michmouse 11/4/07 0 Pregnancy
Britney Spears' 5 Minute Shopping Stop Kellish 8/10/08 0 Celebrities & Entertainment
I CAN'T STOP SHOPPING (PICS INCLUDED) jw11897 3/6/08 18 Fashion & Beauty!
I can't stop Shopping Beth 11/7/07 9 Fashion & Beauty!
this shopping frenzy has got to stop! jodi714 5/6/07 2 Fashion & Beauty!

Quick navigation:   
Currently 156430 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
From the Store
KIDSCOUNTER BATH COLLECTION
$42.00
Look
Lip & Eye Moisturizing Cream Gel
$49.00
Look
KIDSCOUNTER SHINE COLLECTION
$28.00
Look