LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

Home Goods/TJ Maxx Rewards Card? misleading? what's the deal? has this happened to anyone before?

Posted By Message

LadyBugN2Buggies
<3

Member since 5/10

6691 total posts

Name:

Home Goods/TJ Maxx Rewards Card? misleading? what's the deal? has this happened to anyone before?

I'm annoyed and want to see if anyone else had this experience, and also to find out what the real deal is - b/c I may be interested in a rewards card, but not one linked to a credit card.

Went to Home Goods and was asked at the register if I wanted to sign up for the rewards card. I said no (I was in a rush). Then the cashier said it wasn't a credit card, just a rewards card. I said, "You're sure it's not a credit card?" She said no, just a rewards card where you earn points, get coupons, etc. I figure it was something like Waldbaums has, you know?

I said, fine, I'm here enough. She gave me the paperwork with a packet and it wanted my mother's maiden name, social security number, annual income, etc. It said on the top "CREDIT CARD APPLICATION."

I say, "You told me it wasn't a credit card, so why does it say this on top?"

and she said something about it really being a reward card, it's not really a credit card, you can cancel at any time, etc.

I looked at her and I'm not born yesterday, but I didn't want to be rude, so I said I'd take it home & look it over.

She said "But I get a credit if you sign up today."

??????? So? Find another sucker. It won't be me.

I said that I understood that, but that I didn't want to give out my social security number at this time (again, trying to be nice).

She said, "Oh, well, we give the sheet back to you with your social security number on it. But you should do it today so I can get credit for signing you up."

Well, OBVIOUSLY after you put my social security number into the system, you can give the paper back to me...but it still means you'd have my used my # and signed me up for a card I don't want.

Chat Icon

I further said no, not today.

I was more insulted over someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes than anything else. She kept further saying it wasn't really a credit card. Chat Icon umm...okay, lady.

Anyway, does anyone know the real story? Is there just a basic rewards card not linked to a credit card? I'm curious.

Posted 2/12/11 4:02 PM

Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource
  |   Long Island Weddings

CupcakeLady
LIF Toddler

Member since 10/10

423 total posts

Name:

Re: Home Goods/TJ Maxx Rewards Card? misleading? what's the deal? has this happened to anyone before?

They have a Rewards credit card: http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=tjx_choice_champ

Maybe she doesn't fully understand it? Though, she likely just wanted the credit.

ETA: When you sign up for a rewards card, you usually just give name, address and phone number. I wouldn't have given my social and all that info either. She likely would've charged it to your "Rewards" card and you'd have to pay the insane APR they charge for store cards.

Message edited 2/12/2011 4:29:49 PM.

Posted 2/12/11 4:28 PM

Ma-n-Pa2008
Mommy's Big Boy

Member since 3/09

2584 total posts

Name:
Melissa

Re: Home Goods/TJ Maxx Rewards Card? misleading? what's the deal? has this happened to anyone before?

she either doesn't understand or was just playing dumb. i have their credit card and you earn points when you use it to earn a $10 off coupon after 1000 points or something like that. I've never seen a non-credit card reward card at those stores.

Posted 2/12/11 6:45 PM

MaZz
* Lovin my baby girl!!! *

Member since 2/09

5394 total posts

Name:
Gina

Never heard of this... I just signed up for their CC a couple weeks ago and had to input all that info into the CC machine... def was no rewards card and as far as I know, you only get rewards with their CC

Posted 2/13/11 2:04 PM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Twin stroller--great deal at Home Goods! BaseballWidow 5/3/09 0 Multiple Births
Marshall's, TJ MAXX, Home Goods... KGools 1/19/07 13 Families Helping Families ™

Quick navigation:   
Currently 228697 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
From the Store
THE QUINTESSENTIAL COLLECTION
$75.00
Look
Ultimate Makeover - Wrap Pack!
$115.00
Look
Facial - Deep Hydration Mask
$99.00
Look