LIFamilies.com - Long Island, NY

RSS
Articles Business Directory Blog Real Estate Community Forum Shop My Family Contests

Quick navigation:   

Oh WOW...anyone remember Conor McDonald

Posted By Message

MsSissy
xoxoxo

Member since 3/07

37459 total posts

Name:

Oh WOW...anyone remember Conor McDonald

Well he's now part of the New York Police Department! Amazing.
External Image

Conor McDonald Monday officially joined the ranks of the New York Police Department, a dream nearly 24 years in the making.

McDonald, son of Police Officer Steven McDonald, who was shot and paralyzed from the neck down while on the job in 1986, becomes the fourth generation of the family to wear a police badge.

"It's in my blood. I just want to help people," said McDonald, 23. "I feel ecstatic."

McDonald's class of 1,147 new police officers - the largest class since 2008 - was sworn in shortly before noon Monday in Madison Square Garden. Their first shift will be on New Year's Eve and many will be working in Times Square, directing the large crowds that are expected to attend, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

"You are no longer bystanders, you are police officers," he told the new officers.

Despite a blizzard that knocked out Long Island Rail Road service to and from Penn Station before the graduation ceremony and slowed subways and buses, thousands of family and friends were on hand to cheer on the new officers.

Kelly said the ceremony was not postponed because it could not be rescheduled because of other events at the venue.

Both Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg paused during the graduation ceremony to acknowledge McDonald and his father, Steven, whom Bloomberg called a "legend in the NYPD for the bravery he showed in battling back from near-fatal gunshot wounds."

Steven McDonald was shot in 1986 while on patrol in Central Park and paralyzed from the neck down. His shooter, 15-year-old Shavod Jones, was sentenced to 10 years in prison and died shortly after his release.

Despite what happened to him, Steven McDonald said he had no reservations about his son becoming a police officer.

"My wife does, of course," he said, adding that his wife, Patricia, is the mayor of Malverne.

"We're the best police department in the world. How could I not be confident that he's going to come home every night?"

Asked if he had any advice for his son, McDonald said, "I tell him to always be in control of what he is doing and be in control of himself."

His son said, "I'm nervous - I'm not petrified. I've got butterflies."

He added: "Now I have to pay my dues out on the street."

Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 4:38 PM

Long Island Weddings
Long Island's Largest Bridal Resource

PearlJamChick
No one sings like you anymore.

Member since 7/10

8643 total posts

Name:
Petticoated Swashbuckler

Re: Oh WOW...anyone remember Conor McDonald

Yes - I remember vividly when his father was injured because my dad was an NYPD officer and I was old enough to realize what had happened.

Very cool that he's following in his dad's footsteps. I read a few weeks ago that he is getting Ray Kelly's shield number from when he started on the force.

Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 4:59 PM

peanutbutter2
Carpe diem!

Member since 11/10

5287 total posts

Name:

Yes! I remember him! He came and did a speech at our school once, and I am pretty sure I remember him talking about his son Connor and how he went to Chaminade. I think.

Posted 12/29/10 5:00 PM

MrsA714
Baby #2 is here!

Member since 8/07

8806 total posts

Name:

Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 5:17 PM

CunningOne

Member since 5/05

26975 total posts

Name:

Posted by PearlJamChick

Yes - I remember vividly when his father was injured because my dad was an NYPD officer and I was old enough to realize what had happened.

Same here. My dad was in the NYPD at that time and I remember. I was also in HS that year, and his wife/Conor's mom was a graduate of my HS and came and gave a speech.

Posted 12/29/10 5:17 PM

AutumnDreams
LIF Toddler

Member since 10/10

433 total posts

Name:

That's wonderful! Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 5:21 PM

Bearcat
Love my little girls!!! <3

Member since 6/10

10813 total posts

Name:
E

good for him! Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 5:30 PM

Angels04
LIF Infant

Member since 10/09

273 total posts

Name:
Ann

How wonderful!

Posted 12/29/10 5:55 PM

NYRangersgirl
LIF Infant

Member since 12/09

85 total posts

Name:

Steven McDonald is a huge NY Rangers fan. They give an award to a Ranger at the end of every season who went above and beyond on and off the ice. The Rangers have been making a big deal about Conor joining the NYPD.

Posted 12/29/10 7:13 PM

casper
LIF Infant

Member since 6/09

132 total posts

Name:
me

That is great!! Chat Icon
I remember his father came to my uncles funeral (NYPD) years ago and was a very, very, nice man. He is probably so proud!

Posted 12/29/10 7:24 PM

AngnShaun
RIP Jessie <3

Member since 1/10

20870 total posts

Name:
Ang

Being a HUGE Rangers Fan... i definitely know who he is... the Rangers have an award once a year called the Steven McDonald Extra Effort award for the player that shows the most effort throughout the year...

When i had season tickets it was always my favorite game to go to... im sure his dad is very proud of him....

Posted 12/29/10 7:29 PM

MissJones
Incredibly blessed

Member since 5/05

20663 total posts

Name:
and grateful!

Good for him! Chat Icon

Posted 12/29/10 9:16 PM

Goldi0218
My miracles!

Member since 12/05

23915 total posts

Name:
Leslie

I remember.

Posted 12/29/10 9:46 PM

MarathonKnitter
OOH RAH

Member since 2/07

14363 total posts

Name:
Blessings Galore

i was not living on the east coast back then

but what an amazing story/family

Posted 12/30/10 8:33 AM

Potentially Related Topics:

Topic Posted By Started Replies Forum
Anyone remember any good songs by Michael Mcdonald? Luvlylady 11/15/06 9 Families Helping Families ™
wow, remember that little boy who was abducted from his home by gunmen? KartveliT 5/17/09 6 Families Helping Families ™

Quick navigation:   
Currently 150425 users on the LIFamilies.com Chat
From the Store
Tea Tree Exfoliating Body Wash
$7.00
Look
10 Baby Onesie Soap Favors
$40.00
Look
GLOW SUGAR SCRUB
$38.00
Look